Latest Pirates Buzz
Burnett throws another efficient outing, Pirates offense breaks out vs Reds
PIRATES 7 – REDS 2
Win: A.J. Burnett (1-1)
Loss: Anthony DeSclafani (2-3)
The Pirates came into tonight’s game averaging just 1.45 runs per game in A.J. Burnett’s previous five starts but the 38 year old pitcher got plenty of run support tonight as the Pirates broke out offensively, snapping their five game losing streak in a 7-2 win over the Reds.
Burnett threw another efficient outing and became the 41st pitcher in MLB history with 2,400 career strikeouts.
“He’s on a mission in his own way,” manager Clint Hurdle said of Burnett who is pitching at an All-Star level. “He manages his pitches very well. Quick efficient outs.”
Burnett went 7 innings, allowing 7 hits and 2 earned runs. Burnett improving to 1-1 with a 1.66 ERA on the season, threw 85 pitches, 52 for strikes.
- The Pirates scored more runs tonight than they combined for in their previous five games. A difference tonight for the Pirates was patience at the plate as the team walked seven times. Neil Walker and Gregory Polanco each walked twice.
- Andrew McCutchen broke out tonight with his first 3-hit game of the season. McCutchen was 3-4 with a double, RBI, 2 runs scored and picked up his first stolen base of the season.
- Chris Stewart went 2-4, extending his hitting streak to four games. Stewart had a key 2-run single in the seventh to push the Pirates lead to 6-2. He’s hitting .286 on the season.
- Neil Walker, 2-3 at the plate tonight with 2 walks, 2 runs scored.
- The Pirates 1-4 hitters (Gregory Polanco, Neil Walker, Andrew McCutchen, Starling Marte) reached base a combined 13 times tonight.