Day 1 of NHL free agency started off with a bang with the likes of Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Ryan Smith, Daniel Briere, Paul Kariya all getting long term lucrative deals. Day 2 has been very quiet as it is now five minutes past one and there have only been two minor signings. There are still lots of big names still available. How does Brendan Shananhan fit into the Rangers plans? With 44.5 million spent towards the cap for next season the Rangers are going to have to get very creative to fit Shananhan’s 4 million salary. They still have to resign RFA’s Henry Lundqvists and forward Steve Avery. Avery is likely to head to arbitration where he could receive over 2 million dollars per season.
Big Names still available
1. Bill Guerin seeking 2 yr – 7 million deal
2. Brendan Shananhan. Unknown what is going on with him. Rangers are trying to re-sign him. MTL could be a possbility as they were a finalist last season or could take less money to finish his career in Det.
3. Slava Kozlov – Great two way centerman who is somehow still on the market. Dallas and Atlanta were trying to sign him as of late last night. Chicago, WAs could be a possiblity.
4. Alexei Yashin – According to the Washington Post the Capitals haven’t made a formal offer, but they have expressed interest in C Alexei Yashin. The Wild, Canadiens, Oilers, Devils and Senators also have been reportedly interested in Yashin, who had his contract bought out by the Islanders last month
5. Michael Hanzdus – reports out of Chicago are they have offered Hanzdus a 3yr deal
6 Robert Lang – Latest on him is he could be signed for under 3 million per season
1. Sheldon Souray –
2. Brad Stuart
3. Danny Markov – Received offers from Pittsburgh, Chicago and Detroit.
4. Andy Sutton – The Penguins did inquire about Sutton yesterday but no formal offer was made the Buzzontheburgh has learned
The Penguins have announced a 2p.m. news conference to discuss the recent signings of Daryl Sydor and Petr Skyora and other free agent news according to Pittsburgh Sports Insider.