1 Mark Recchi to Carolina for Niklas Nordgren, Krystofer Kolanos and a second-round pick in 2007.
my take: This was a awful trade. Nordgren and Kolanos are two journeymen who will not be on the roster next season. You can check them out in Wilkes Barrie. Some people will say, “hey we got a second round pick for the Wreckingball”. Well the second round pick was the only thing good about this deal, but it will be a wasted pick on a player who is really a 5th rounder. As for Recchi: why trade him if your not getting even return. Hopefully Recchi resigns with the Pens in the offseason.
2. Ric Jackman to Florida for Petr Taticek
my take: Jackman has been up and down all year, and no surprise he was traded. The negative of this deal is Taticek is another bum who isn’t better than Jackman. Another trade of a player for another player who is no help to this team for next year. Jackman only makes 700,000 so why trade him if your not getting someone whose better.
3. D Cory Cross to Detroit for a 2007 fourth round pick
my take: wasn’t playing alot, but give Craig credit for getting 4th round pick for a player who has been rarely in the lineup.
4. claimed center Andy Hilbert off waivers from the Chicago Blackhawks
my take: Hilbert is not a bad player, but he’s nothing special.
It looks like Craig dissapointed all of us once again but lets see what these bums do the rest of the season to address the moves he just made. Of the four Hilbert will be the only one to contribute and who most likely will be on the team next season
Trade Deadline Winners
1. Colorado Avalanche – Many experts have critized the signing of Theodore, but Theodore has a chance to be the special player he was in 2002. The guy needed to get away from Montreal and his family who have had issues with the law.
2.Edmonton – Love the aquisitions of Samsonov and Roleson. Samsonov will fit in nicely to the uptempo style of play Edmonton plays and Kevin Lowe promised to bring in a #1 goaltender and he backed up his promise.
3.Carolina Hurricanes – gave up nothing for Mark Recchi, who will flourish their in the few months he is a Hurricane. If Cole can come back healthy Carolina will be a force in the postseason
4. Vancouver and New Jersey – Both teams addressed serious needs defensively.
5. Florida Panthers – they didn’t trade Olli Jokinen and most importantly signed him to a 4 yr 21 million extension. This is a player who is about to hit his prime. Great move
1. Calgary – a team that was desperate for top 2 line center and failed to get Olli Jokinen. This is a team in the old NHL that would be the favorites to win it all but the playoffs are going to be a little more wide open so the lack of offense will hurt them.
2. Philadelphia Flyers – Im not a big fan of this team, but they needed another forward with playoff expierence and failed to get Mark Recchi. I dont see this team getting past the first round
3. Tampa Bay Lighting – I really thought they were going to land Curtis Joseph. They have the offense to return to the finals but goaltending is terrible and anything beyond the second round would be a suprising.