PIRATES 7 – ROCKIES 5
Win: Tony Watson (7-1)
Loss: Rex Brothers (3-5)
Save: Mark Melancon (19)
In a game that took nearly four hours, the Pittsburgh Pirates (55-49) avoided a three game sweep with a 7-5 win over the Colorado Rockies (43-61).
Josh Harrison did it all in the victory with a four hit game and hit the go-ahead home run in the eighth inning.
Harrison went 4-5 with a solo home run, two RBI, two runs scored and had two stolen bases (on one pitch). It was Harrison’s 4th multi-hit game in his last nine starts.
Harrison’s solo home run off Rex Brothers in the eighth inning put the Pirates ahead 6-5 and Gregory Polanco added more insurance with a solo home run to right as Harrison, Polanco homered back-to-back giving the Pirates a 7-5 lead.
Mark Melancon closed out the ninth with a nine pitch inning for his 19th save of the season.
- According to ESPN Stats & Info, Josh Harrison is the 5th Pirates player in last 100 years with at least four hits, including a home run, and two stolen bases in a game.
- The Pirates hit three homers in the game. Travis Snider hit a pinch hit two-run homer in the sixth inning.
- Chris Stewart went 3-4 with two runs scored. Stewart is 5-8 in his last two starts (7/20, 7/27) at catcher.
- Pirates starter Edison Volquez received a no decision and failed to pitch through the fifth inning, allowing six hits and four runs (two earned) in 4.1 innings.
- The Pirates managed 16 hits.