- The Penguins have offered Joe Melichar a 1yr deal.
- The Penguins have not offered Jocelyn Thibault a contract at this moment. It is believed the Penguins are only looking for a veteran backup goalie that is willing to sign a 1yr deal. Expect Thibault to enter free agency
- Michel Ouellet will not be offered a contract. He may still be brought back at even a lesser price: Update: 4:40 Michel Ouellet will be in the same boat Andy Hilbert was in last year. It’s believed both sides have some interest in returning but the Penguins are in a wait and see approach. I just don’t get the logic in not tendering Ouellet. Yes he’s slow but he was one of their top 6 forwards down the stretch and in the playoffs. .
- Rumors from the Draft
- The Penguins made multiple attempts to move up in the 1st round to select defenseman Ryan McDanaugh
- Up to 6 teams including the Penguins called the Nashville Predators about the availability of defenseman Marek Zidlicky. They were all told he is not available.
- The Canadiens were not able to get a third team involved in their potential trade for Patrick Marleau. Thats the main reason why Alexei Kovalev is still a Montreal Canadien. It is believed the Canadiens had preliminary talks with the Penguins, Capitals and an unknown third team about Kovalev but no deal is imminent. If Kovalev gets traded it won’t be until mid-july.
- Free Agency Rumors
- The Penguins main target when free agency begins is expected to be Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny Markov. The Red Wings would like to re-sign Markov but the chances are slim according to the Detroit Free Press. The Penguins made an attempt to sign Markov last season but he did not fit into the teams budget plans. Markov is reportedly seeking a 2yr deal worth 6 million.
- Defenseman Andy Sutton will draw interest from the Pens and defenseman Sean Hannan.
- Take Paul Kariya off of your wishlist. Kariya is expected to either re-sign in Nashville or sign with a team out west.
- Bill Guerin will not return to San Jose i have been told. Potential suitors include, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Dallas.
- There are some people who believe the Penguins may not sign a winger for Sidney Crosby at all. What they might do is move Evgeni Malkin to left wing on Crosby’s line all season and see how it plays out.
- I was told this weekend in Columbus that last year the Penguins had interest in Alexei Yashin if he would have been bought out by the Islanders. Barring if the Penguins decide they will move Malkin to wing full time this season, i know this sounds crazy but it wouldn’t surprise me that if the Penguins look at Michael Nylander, Robert Lang and Yashin as possibilites. As were seeing with Ray Sheros draft philosophy, he will take the best player avaliable no matter what position they play and if one of these 3 are the best available players in the 2.5 – 3.5 million price range, nothing would surprise me. This has a very slim chance of happening but 1 of these 3 could be a quick fix for a year or two until the Esposito kid is ready for the NHL.
Comments have been disabled for this post.