Gary Roberts and Mark Recchi have been set a deadline that If talks do not progress by tomorrow afternoon or the impression is Roberts and Recchi will enter free agency the Penguins are expected to move on and pursue other avenues via trades. The impression i get from Ray Shero’s quotes in the papers is that he seems more intent in upgrading the defense corps then finding a sniper to play alongside Sidney Crosby. I think he’s just waiting for the right deal to materialize but if that’s the truth he’s making the same mistake the Steelers are with Ben Roethlisberger. Surround your star player with Paul Kariya and Tory Holt not Ryan Malone and Cedric Wilson.
- The LA Kings and St. Louis Blues have serious interest in Colby Armstrong. There are suitors out there for Armstrong but it’s hard to get a read on whether the Penguins are actively pursuing to trade Armstrong. Pittsburgh Sports Insider reported yesterday that some of the members in the front office do not feel that Armstrong is in the teams long term plans. PSI is usually right on the mark regarding what they report and i would take their word. Pens rejected an offer from St.Louis last season that involved Armstrong
- The Edmonton Oilers have interest in Sergei Gonchar but he is not at the top of their list. The right deal would have to be on the table as it is believed the Penguins are not looking to move Gonchar. The Oilers are shopping Rafi Torres, Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul. I’ve been told the Penguins are “absolutely not looking to trade Gonchar at this moment” This sums it up that the right deal would have to be on the table for the Penguins to trade Gonchar. Do not expect a trade.
- Ryan Malone to Montreal has gained some steam in the past two days. Kovalev could be their target but i am not that certain. The Habs are dangling their 1st round/ Kovy to get rid of his salary so they can make a run at Daniel Briere.
- The Penguins have no interest in trading Georges Laraque
- Eric Christensen rumors just wont go away. I’ve heard Edmonton, Columbus, and Chicago as potential trade partners. Chicago makes the most sense. They have a plethora of young defenseman and a Christensen – Seabrook trade makes sense for both sides.
- Free Agency Rumors: Bill Guerin has a wishlist of 5 teams to sign with and the Penguins are on that list. The Pens had interest in Guerin at the deadline but it is unknown whether the Pens still have interest. It’s a wait and see process regarding the Penguins having interest in Guerin. If Roberts and Recchi do not come back Guerin could be a option.
- Aaron Miller could be another option filling the void via 6th defenseman. I’m just speculating about Miller as the health problems are a issue but the Pens were in trade talks with the Kings last season about Miller and Brent Sopel.