11/28/08 — 2009 NFL Draft Running Back rankings
1. Knowshon Moreno- Georgia, Eligible Soph- Moreno is another red shirted player who is eligible as a sophomore. Moreno is the total package. It is almost impossible to find any flaws in his game at this point. At this point he is a lock to be a first round selection.
2. Chris Wells- Ohio State, Jr- Wells has been slowed by injury this year. He also has been underperforming a little bit in the bigger games but It shouldn‚Äôt hurt him too much and he will most likely end up being the second running back taken this year.
3. Javon Ringer- Michigan State, Sr- Ringer has carried Michigan State this year. He has outperformed every other senior back this season which could get him a first round selection.
4. LeSean McCoy- Pittsburgh, Eligible Soph- McCoy wasn‚Äôt red shirted but he is still eligible for this year‚Äôs draft. McCoy has said that he is staying for his junior season, but I don‚Äôt necessarily believe that as much as Colt McCoy (McCoy has more to gain and less to lose). Still, if Shady comes out this year he is likely looking at a mid – late first round selection.
5. C.J. Spiller- Clemson, Jr- Spiller is very similar to Chris Johnson out of ECU last season. He has breakneck speed which will cause someone to jump on him in the mid to late first round if he chooses to leave with one more year of eligibility remaining. This ranking is more based on his potential than what he has done on the field.
6. James Davis- Clemson, Sr- Good mix of size and speed. Davis had a better year than Spiller but he doesn‚Äôt show as much potential. With a good finish to the season and solid workouts Davis could be a first day selection.
7. P.J. Hill – Wisconsin, Junior – Hill has rushed for 1021 yards on the season, his third straight season with 1,000 yards. Talented back but has struggled against top tier teams like Penn State and Ohio State. That will hurt his value with NFL scouts and he will need to perform well in workouts to sneak into the top three rounds.
8. Shonn Greene- Iowa, Jr- Greene has played very consistently this season and has really stepped up in bigger games. He looks to be an early selection on day 2.
9. Donald Brown- Connecticut, Jr- Donald Brown has been very impressive this season and has boosted his draft stock from a free agent signing to a mid round pick.
10¬†Cedric Peerman- Virginia, Sr- Peerman has shown glimpses of greatness this season, but his inconsistency has really hurt his draft stock.
Running back Javon Ringer (Michigan State) has jumped 6 spots to #3 in our updated rankings. He could sneak into the first round.
Comments have been disabled for this post.