NOTABLE PLAYER PERFORMANCES FROM PENGUINS – RANGERS
1. Evgeni Malkin | 1 Goal, 1 Assist, 4 SOG | – The immaturity that still exists in Evgeni Malkin’s game showed up in Friday’s 2-1 win over the Leafs when Malkin took an ill-advised penalty when trying to stick up for Patric Hornqvist that put the Penguins shorthanded late in the game. That stuff has to get out of Malkin’s game. Saturday night vs the Rangers was a different story for Malkin. He physically took charge of the game and the puck was following him all night. When Malkin is engaged mentally, his ability to be a physically imposing player really shows and that was on display with his hit of Dan Girardi. Some nights Malkin takes a pass on making that hit.
2. Blake Comeau | 1 Goal, 2 SOG, 5 Hits | – Comeau’s ability to take shifts with star players continues to make him excellent value at $700,000. Comeau scored a first period goal and drew Two offensive zone penalties. Becoming clear he was not used properly last season in Columbus.
3. Lee Stempniak | 1 Goal, 2 SOG, 3 BKS | – The Penguins decision to not resign Lee Stempniak at value the Rangers got him at is one they should regret. They made no attempt to resign him. Stempniak was again a factor and does the little things so well.
4. Brandon Sutter | 3 SOG, 3 Hits, 88.2 FO% – Sutter’s all around game was tremendous going 15 of 17 in faceoff circle and great individual work on the PK.
5. Marty St. Louis | 1 Goal, 2 SOG | – St. Louis has seven points in his last seven games, and 3 goals in his last 4 games vs Penguins (including playoffs).