OTA Tuesday’s Quick Hits
- Today marks the first set of 12 OTA practices the Steelers will have throughout the next four weeks. The Steelers will practice Tuesday-through-Thursday this week.
- As expected, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has not been cleared to return to team activities. Roethlisberger is awaiting word from the league and clearance to participate in team activities is not expected for at least another week.
- Strong safety Troy Polamalu is absent from today’s practice. Polamalu has attended all OTA’s and mini camp practices up until today. It is common for Polamalu not to attend OTA’s as the star safety trains back in California. However, Polamalu has not participated in drills this off-season due to a knee injury that caused him to miss 11 games last season.
- The injury remains a concern because the Steelers and Polamalu don’t know what to expect when Polamalu begins to take hits in training camp.
- Free agent signee Will Allen is taking first team reps at strong safety in place of Polamalu.
- Meanwhile, Hines Ward remains bothered by a bad hamstring that has hindered him for much of the off-season drills. Ward is jogging on the side at practice and not taking part in drills.