PIRATES 4 – MARINERS 2
Win: Vin Mazzaro (4-2)
Loss: Charlie Furbush (1-4)
Save: Mark Melancon (2)
- The Pittsburgh Pirates extended their winning streak to six games, defeating the Seattle Mariners 4-2 on Wednesday afternoon. Pittsburgh went 5-for-5 on their West Coast trip and return home 18 games over .500 at 48-30. Let that sink in Pirates fans.
- Tied at 2-2 in the ninth, Jordy Mercer (.286 – 4 HR – 11 RBI) hit the go-ahead single and Travis Snider later scored on a wild pitch by Yoervis Medina as the Pirates added two runs in the ninth and Mark Melancon (0.96 ERA, 22 HLD, 2 SV) picked up his second save of the season, pitching a scoreless ninth.
- Jeanmar Gomez (2-0, 2.76 ERA) returned from the DL and didn’t miss a beat today, allowing 3 hits and 1 run (0 ER) in 5 innings pitched. Gomez struck out 5 and walked 2, giving the Pirates another strong outing. Gomez has been a huge surprise for Pittsburgh and the Pirates have won 9 straight games when Gomez starts.
- Neil Walker (.255 – 6 HR – 23 RBI) hit a two-run homer in the 4th inning and went 2-for-3 in the win. Walker is 6-12 in his last four games.
- Pedro Alvarez (.242 – 19 HR – 51 RBI) extended his hitting streak to 10 games, going 2-4 with 1 run scored. Alvarez is 16-41 (.390) with 5 home runs, 13 RBIs in his last 10 games.