- Jordy Mercer singled to left
- Neil Walker flied out to center.
- Andrew McCutchen grounded out to third, Mercer to second.
- Starling Marte singled to right, Mercer scored (5-4, STL)
- Jung Ho Kang singled to center, Marte to second.
- Francisco Cervelli singled to right, Marte scored, (5-5)
- Travis Ishikawa walked on 4 pitches, Cervelli to second.
- Gregory Polanco singled to right, Kang scored (6-5 Pirates win!)
PIRATES STUN CARDINALS WITH ANOTHER THRILLING WALK OFF WIN
For the second straight night, the Pittsburgh Pirates erased a deficit in extra innings to stun the St. Louis Cardinals, 6-5 on Sunday night at PNC Park.
After Andrew McCutchen’s walk-off blast Saturday night, the Pirates were in a familiar situation tonight, this time scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 10th, with Gregory Polanco delivering the game winning RBI with a 2-out single to right field, scoring Jung Ho Kang for the winning run.
The thriller at PNC saw the Pirates blow a 3-2 lead in the eighth and then the Cardinals go on top 5-3 in the top of the 10th.
Pittsburgh’s magic in extra innings tonight saw all 3-runs in the 10th come with 2-outs, a Starling Marte RBI single to cut the Cardinals lead to 5-4, Francisco Cervelli delivered a clutch RBI single to right, tying the game at 5-5, and Gregory Polanco would take a first pitch from Trevor Rosenthal to right for the 6-5 win as the Pirates head into the All-Star break just 2.5 games out of first place.
Polanco went 3-4 on the night, hitting the go-ahead (or game winning) run for the third time this week.
For Rosenthal it was a disastrous outing, allowing 5 hits and 3 earned runs, throwing just 15 strikes on 29 pitches.
PIRATES IN THE BOTTOM OF THE 10TH
Comments have been disabled for this post.