With the Penguins surging on a 11-0-2 run, the question many want to know is will they stay put or load up for the stretch run. Indications are Ray Shero will tinker with his roster if the right deal is there. The Penguins have had scouts following the Blue Jackets, Bruins, Coyotes and Blues in recent weeks.
Players who are trade bait that could bring in something other than a bag of pucks
1. Defenseman Noah Welch – Has a bright future in the league but despite being a dissapointment this season the 24 yr old D-man has drawn considerable interest from 4 or 5 teams.
2. C/LW Eric Christensen – He is not on the trade block, but has come up in discussions as of late
3. Dominik Moore – With Moore being used mostly in 4th line duty his penguins days are numbered. He is stuck behind Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Talbot on the depth chart plus the likely addition of Ryan Stone next season leaves him as the odd man out.
4. Jonathan Filewich WBS – If the Penguins want to make a splash at the deadline without dismantling their squad, Filewich would have to be included.
Others who could be dealt but don’t count on it…..
1. Nils Ekman – A huge dissapointment, scoring 6 goals in 36 games and a -13. Ekman is due back in March and could be a throw in for any deadline deal but who would really want him
2. Ryan Malone – his stock has plummeted and there is nothing true to the Malone- Prucha rumors or Malone – Boyes rumors. Malone is now in his comfort zone on the third line so do not expect him to be traded.