Latest Pirates Buzz
Previewing Pirates – Rockies
PIRATES (54-47, 20-26 away) @ ROCKIES (41-60, 25-27 home)
Time: 8:40 p.m. ET
Tonight’s pitching matchup boast PIT Charlie Morton (5-9, 3.28 ERA) vs COL Brett Anderson (0-3, 4.00 ERA).
Morton, who has given up two or fewer earned runs in nine of his last 11 starts, is 2-0 with a 3.16 ERA in five career starts against the Rockies. Morton allowed 5 hits and 2 earned runs in seven innings pitched Saturday night vs Colorado. Morton is 2-6 with a 4.19 on the road this season.
Colorado’s Brett Anderson pitched extremely well against the Pirates on Saturday night, allowing 4 hits and 1 earned run. He struck out 8. Lefties are hitting .231 against Anderson this season. In two starts at Coors field it’s been a struggle for Anderson who has allowed 20 hits and 11 runs.
When Anderson’s stuff is working, he throws a tough breaking ball to hit which was the case in his outing vs Pirates on Saturday night. “His breaking ball was real good,” Rockies manager Walt Weiss said on July 19. “He’s got a great breaking ball and used it well tonight. I think he went to it especially late, when maybe he was getting a little fatigued. Like I say, his second start after being away a long time — and he got some swings and misses.”
- Rockies relievers have posted a 9.93 ERA and gone 0 for 3 in save opportunities in the last eight games.
- The Rockies are 7-24 in their last 31 games
- The Pirates lead the NL in On Base Percentage at.334
- Neil Walker is batting .328/.410/.612 with 10 extra base hits in month of July. He is hitting .583 (7-12) vs the Rockies this season.
- Russell Martin has 30 RBIs when batting “5th” in the lineup, 3rd most in the NL from the No. 5 spot.
- Gregory Polanco batting .136 vs lefties (6-44), was 0-3 vs Anderson on Saturday night.
- Rockies OF Carlos Gonzalez is 5-12 (.417) with 1 home run in his career vs Morton.
- Drew Stubbs (not in starting lineup) is 9-for-25 lifetime vs. Charlie Morton with 1 home run, 1 double, 5 RBI’s and 2 walks.
- Brent Morel will start at third base for the Pirates tonight.
- With the Pirates facing a lefty, Travis Snider sits tonight after a strong game Wednesday night.
- The Rockies will be without star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki tonight. Justin Morneau remains sidelined for the Rockies. Also injured is Michael Cuddyer.