There are many factors the point towards the unlikely hood of the Penguins and Flames pulling this deal off
Reasons to doubt this trade will happen……
- The Flames asking price is very high at the moment.
- The Penguins will have to up the ante. Malone and Orpik will not get it done. The Penguins would have to send a 2nd round pick or 1 of their top 2 draft choices from last weeks draft. That is not going to happen.
- Regher is seeking an extension. This deal does not make sense unless the Penguins have a extension in the works since Regher is a free agent following the 07-08 season. Ray Shero is not going to make this trade and then lose Regher to free agency after 1 season
- I don’t see the Flames front office jumping up and down about Ryan Malone skating on their 2nd or 3rd line.
Reason this trade may happen
- The Flames are very high on Brooks Orpik. If you think of a Mike Keenan type of player, Brooks Orpik fits the description. Orpik is not Robin Regher but he is a hard hitting presence that will save the Flames 2 or 3 million down the road as they pursue free agents.
- Free agency is a risky avenue to improve your team as your competing with 29 other teams for a specific player. If the Penguins get the idea that Scott Hannan and Danny Markov will be off the market and re-sign wih their respective clubs talks with the Flames could intensify
- The teams have been talking dialogue for over two days about this potential trade
Chance of happening 30%