When the Pittsburgh Pirates traded for Adam Laroche last winter they believed they were getting a power hitting first baseman who could take them to the next level. That next level for the Pirates is 500 ball but three months later the Pirates are begining to see that player. LaRoche continued his hot streak today as he homered twice and Tom Gorzelanny outpitched Ben Sheets as the Pirates beat the Milwaukee Brewers 6-3 on Thursday, handing the division leaders their third consecutive loss. LaRoche has jumped his average from .164 on May 12 to .242. The first baseman is 16-for-32 with five doubles, five homers and 11 RBIs in his last eight games.
- While Adam Laroche is begining to find his stride, Jason Bay is in a month long slump. Bay has gone 15-for 106 since June 1 dropping his average from .314 to .256.
- Former Pirate pitcher Chris Young of the San Diego Padres has been named to the National League All-Stars by virtue of fan voting. Five players including Tom Gorzolanny will in the voting process along with Young for the last spot on the team. Young will go down as David Littlefields second biggest blunder in the Littlefield era. A close second behind Littlefield trading thirdbaseman Aramis Ramirez for Bobby Hill freaking Hill. Just think of Ian Snell, Chris Young and Tom Gorzelanny as the teams 1-3 starters.
- Latest Bucco Rumors.
- Three teams have inquired about releiver Solomon Torres including the Detroit Tigers who are in the market for bullpen help.
- Jack Wilson has drawn little interest but the Chicago Cubs appear to have mild interest.
- The New York Post reports the New York Mets are interested in catcher Ronny Paulino.
- The Pirates have received calls about Jason Bay and the New York Mets are rumored to be the front runners if the Pirates decide to trade Bay which is very unlikely. The Mets among 5 other teams have inquired about Bay. For the Pirates to trade Bay the Mets would have to offer Outfielder Lastings Miledge and a top tier prospect. More on this as the trade deadline gets closer.