Tomlin On Preseason Game No. 3
– Head coach Mike Tomlin would not name a starter for Sunday night’s preseason game but Tomlin said today that Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon will all see time with the first team.
Although Tomlin remains mum, strong indications are Roethlisberger will start and be followed by Dixon and Leftwich in that order.
Tomlin said that Dixon has earned first team reps on “merritt”. It wasn’t preplanned that he would get first team reps by week three but it was “hoped, ” Tomlin said.
– Tomlin continues to reiterate that he likely won’t name a starting QB for week 1 in an attempt to keep the Atlanta Falcons guessing.
– Tomlin confirmed that Maurkice Pouncey will start at center. Justin Hartwig will run with the second team.
– Cornerback Bryant McFadden (pectorial) will not play and Keenan Lewis will start at left cornerback. Will Allen as expected will start at safety in place of Ryan Clark.
Tomlin hinted that Greg Warren’s roster spot could be in jeopardy.
The team signed Matt Stewart this week and Tomlin said they brought in Stewart based on “motivation and competition” for Warren.
– Tomlin also hinted that we will see more of Antonio Brown on punt and kick returners than Stefan Logan. Brown is expected to open up the game as the featured returner.
– Daniel Sepulveda will get another long look as the Steelers kickoff specialist.
– The Steelers are looking for Emmanuel Sanders to play a big role in the passing game this week. Tomlin confirmed that Sanders will be in the slot and Antonio Brown will play on the outside.
– No word on Jonathan Dwyers playing status but he’s expected to be active.
—-Tim Benz also contributed to this report—