- Kicker Jeff Reed has won his job back and will handle the kickoff duties against the Atlanta Falcons, head coach Mike Tomlin said. Reed was battling Daniel Sepulveda but Sepulveda struggled mightily near the end of the preseason.
- Cornerback Bryant McFadden returned to practice on Monday and will play and start on Sunday according to Mike Tomlin. William Gay who started the preseason finale will play the nickle. Cornerback Keenan Lewis doesn’t figure to play a big role in Sunday’s game. Lewis was previously in the mix for the starting left cornerback spot.
- Tomlin said today the team will monitor Rashard Mendenhall’s workload early in the season but also noted that Mendenhall will in all likelyhood stay on the field in 3rd down situations. Tomlin noted that Mewelde Moore can also step in for the 3rd down role but the job is currently Mendenhall’s.
- Look for running back Isaac Redman to get some playing time and reps in short-yardage situations against Atlanta. Tomlin said Redman will get an opportunity to be the Steelers short-yardage back, saying Redman has excelled in that spot over the past two seasons.
- Tomlin remains mum on who will be the team’s primary returner in week 1 but based on Monday’s practice, Antonio Brown will be the guy.
- One intriguing position battle still not resolved is the No. 4 receiver spot. However, the No. 4 receiver in Bruce Arians offense rarely see’s the field due to Heath Millers pass catching ability.