Scott Gomez 8 million per? Chris Drury 8 million per? What is going on in the NHL. Every year it seems teams are drastically over paying for players and don’t expect that to change this summer when free agency beings Sunday. Last year is where the frenzy began. When the Tampa Bay Lightning signed Brad Richards to a 5yr – 39 million deal it set the market for players like Gomez & Drury to command 7-8 million per this off-season. Why would the Lightning even give Brad Richards 7.8 million per is beyond me considering he only scored 67 points last season and isn’t even one of the teams top 2 players but thats their issue. Last year Toronto also followed suit signing defenseman Pavel Kubina to a 4 yr – 20 million deal which has set the market this off-season for defenseman Scott Hannan & Roman Hamerlik. Now this year the Flyers have already started the frenzy after signing left winger Scott Hartnell and defenseman Kimo Timonen to combined contracts worth over 60 million. General managers around the league are not to happy about that. As July 1st is upon us, players like Andy Sutton are going to receive offers of 3-4 million per season which they don’t deserve. The spending is getting out of control and there appears to be no end in sight.
- My thoughts on the last NHL Rumblings
- The St.Louis Blues have offered Keith Tkachuk a multi -year deal worth 3.5 million per season according to Andy Strickland. News flashing to the Blues: Aren’t rebuilding teams suppose to get rid of washed up vets who are cancers in the locker room. I loved Tkachuk as a player when he was in his prime but the past few years he has lost a couple steps. The Blues need to move on. Despite trading for his rights, it is not certain Tkachuk will sign with the Blues.
- The New York Islanders are going to make a serious run at Scott Gomez. Regardless of what they offer i can’t see Gomez signing with the Isles. For the 1st time in his career Gomez surely wants to play in front of a sold out crowd when playing at home. He signs with the Flyers.
- The latest Report has the New York Rangers close to re-signing Michael Nylander. Great signing for the Rangers as Nylander has been a vital part of the team since the post-lockout. The Capitals have Nylander on their wishlist so look for them to pursue Alexei Yashin.
- Check in later tonight Pens fans for latest speculation concerning Scott Hannan, Danny Markov and Aaron Miller……