TIOPS DAILY FIVE
Rumblings, Musings, Opinions*
1. Gerrit Cole was rocked in the Pirates 7-4 loss to the Brewers Tuesday night. Cole lasted just four innings, matching the shortest start of his career, and allowing five runs, which also matched the most he has ever allowed.
“I didn’t work down, I didn’t work efficiently,” Cole told reporters of his performance.
Cole since the All-Star break is 2-5 with a 3.36 ERA and opponents are hitting .261 against him.
“I looked [at the tape] and I don’t have all the answers,” Cole said of his start Tuesday night. “The stuff was kind of flat, not very crisp, and poor execution as well. I just got beat up real quick.”
It’s not panic time for Cole but there’s only been a handful of dominant starts over the last eight weeks, and you need your ace trending in the right direction heading into September. Is he starting to wear down?
The best thing the Pirates can do is getting Cole comfortable again. If it takes making Chris Stewart the permanent catcher again for Cole, then do it.
Cole’s ERA is .211 when Stewart catches, .358 when Cervelli catches him.
2. The Pirates are nine games below .500 vs the Central Division (21-30), the Cardinals who are now six games ahead of the Pirates in the division, are 14 games above .500 vs the Central (32-18). Easy to figure out.
3. Mike Tomlin says Martavis Bryant’s issues are bigger than football. If the Steelers truly believe that and there is concern Bryant might be heading down a Josh Gordon path, then the Steelers should shut him down beyond the suspension and get him the needed help. Don’t follow what the 49ers did with Aldon Smith.
4. A normal restructure in the NFL is players just getting the bulk of their owed salary for that particular season upfront and the player earning no additional money for that season. NFL contracts are not guaranteed so the Antonio Brown restructure that saw the Steelers advance him $2 million from his 2016 salary is very rare for them to do and unique as Brown said.
If Brown has anyone to thank it’s Mike Tomlin who was pushing being the scenes that Brown’s situation was a special one.
“They could’ve told me to stick to my original deal,” Brown said Tuesday. “I am deeply grateful and have tremendous gratitude. They didn’t have to do it. It just shows what they think about me. … There were a lot of great players around here and I don’t think they ever did such a thing like that. I tip my hat to them.”To read this insider news, subscribe to get “Inside Access”!
More of yesterday’s news! It takes sam’s fat ass a day to get to the keyboard.
Apparently pens ownership are seeking for 750m for the team to sell
Umberger for Scuderi would have been interesting if they at the difference in salaries. Then we don’t sign Fehr and our $3 million 1-year contract to Franson right now would be pretty interesting to him. Not sure on Umbergers analytics, but would seem to have more offensive potential than Fehr and add the physical presence we are missing now.
Power forwards do seem to break down at not long after 30
I guess its all moot if you think Umberger is hurt.
That’s assuming franson wants/wanted to sign here. Healthy rj and franson would certainly be better than fehr and scuderi. The forward depth would still be intact. That said I like what fehr brings to the team. Just hope we can find away to get scuds off the books and or bring in franson
Although an unhealthy rj wouldn’t be bad either, just throw him on ltir for the whole season. Be nice to have over 4 mill of cap space in the season.
Unberger is washed up garbage player that he him self can’t believe what Is he doing this long in the league
For a police investigation I’m pretty sure you can be compelled to break a nda
Buffalo would be an interesting dynamic for kane. They have both the assets and cap space to make it happen. Imagine a 2nd line of kane – ror – kane, that would be trouble both on and off the ice. This would never happen for two reasons: buffalo area is where most of his off ice troubles happen and Chicago would never get fair value for him. Would be something more than pens gave up for kessel and col gave up for saad.
You will see their names more often on the local 6 o’clock news than on the 10 o’clock local after game sport news
Those seem like standard party rules. How many of parties have you attended where you didn’t know the host or close friend. If you’ve watched ballers then you know the purpose of nda and no cell phones. Kane doesn’t want some whore snapping a picture of him on bed and putting it on tmz
How are you lowering a cap hit if you take this year’s salary and turn it into this year’s bonus?
2016 not 2015
According to D’s #4, it’s same year salary being turned into this year salary. I think he’s wrong. There’s no benefit to the team to restructure that way and cap space is not created.
“the Steelers advance him $2 million from his 2016 salary” last time I checked it’s still 2015 now….
A normal restructure in the NFL is players just getting the bulk of their owed salary for that particular season upfront and the player earning no additional money for that season.
I’m calling bullshit on this statement, as it provides no salary cap benefit to the team.
4. A normal restructure in the NFL is players just getting the bulk of their owed salary for that particular season upfront and the player earning no additional money for that season. NFL contracts are not guaranteed so the Antonio Brown restructure that saw the Steelers advance him $2 million from his 2016 salary is very rare for them to do and unique as Brown said. If Brown has anyone to thank it’s Mike Tomlin who was pushing being the scenes that Brown’s situation was a special one. “They could’ve told me to stick to my original deal,” Brown said Tuesday. “I… Read more »
check this out guys if this is true then Kane will really be in trouble http://sportsmockery.com/2015/08/patrick-kanes-secret-parties-could-be-what-the-police-are-investigating/
Will be interesting to see what happens with Kane. LA dumped Richards b/c of the arrest but it sounds like LA and the NHL will be in trouble over that one. Drug abuse policy is going to save Richards by the sounds of it. Guessing the Hawks work through it with Kane if he is arrested as he is too good of a player and not a bum like Richards on the ice. It’s not like Kane is going to be found guilty anyway. He will pay off the girl like every other pro athlete and it will be swept… Read more »
yeah but companies are backing off from Kane,such as beauer ,EA also his former junior team will pull his name from a place of honour at their upcoming OHL training camp.
That might hurt his rep and endorsements but he’s too good. Hawks won’t release him. They will “work with him” to rehab. Doesn’t look good that he beat the cabbie though.
yeah for 20 cents
Have guys heard any rumors about patrick kane getting traded ? Apparently Five teams have contacted the Blackhawks about the possibility of acquiring KANE, according to the Chicago Sun-Time
I just don’t see it happening. I think he’ll start the season getting it together and around 20 games in he’ll be wearing the Hawks sweater.
but if ever it happened i see him in a team like Florida or isles
It would have to be a team that has the ability to absorb his upcoming cap hit while having enough assets to make the trade.
So teams think Chicago might be desperate to get out from under him and have called to see what’s up. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing, it’s happens all the time and the only reason it’s even getting out there this time is because of Kane’s legal issue.
It wouldn’t surprise me if he has played his last game as a Blackhawk.
if he didn’t have the taxi incident few years back Im sure the organization would’ve closed their eyes about it just like dougthy in LA. also Chicago is more of a hockey market than L.A. that’s why if Kane would be traded it has to be a team like Florida
Maybe I’m confused but even if Cole’s ERA is .358 with Cervelli catching, a .358 era would be the best ERA ever posted by a starting pitcher to my knowledge.
Yeah. I’m still trying to figure out if that’s the ERA or opponents batting average.
i’m all for shipping out scuds, but not for rj um coming back. good non-trade.