Latest Penguins Buzz
Day 1 Training Camp Buzz: Kobasew, Bennett, Bortuzzo, Goaltending tandem
DAY 1 TRAINING CAMP BUZZ
The Penguins reported to training camp this morning for medical testing and take the ice Thursday morning. Here are some takeaways:
- *31 year old winger Chuck Kobasew is in on a PTO bringing the camp roster to 55. Kobasew appeared in 37 with the Avalanche last season, collecting 5 goals and 4 assists and a plus-6 rating, which ranked first on the team. Kobasew averaged 11:16 of ice time and showed some penalty killing ability last year, averaging 1:46 of ice time shorthanded. Kobasew will compete for a bottom-2 line spot but he brings no physicality to the table. He was credited with 34 hits in 37 games last season. Kobasew is nothing close to the 20 goal scorer he was in Boston when he scored a career high 22 goals with the Bruins in 2007-2008 and following that season up with 21 goals in 2008-2009.
- *Could Beau Bennett be a 55 point type player this season? As he’s put on more muscle and his wrist is stronger, it’s not a stretch that he puts up 15-18 goals with 40 assists this season if he’s put in the right situations. Penguin coaches believe Bennett is going to have a big impact in a full-time role this season. Look for Bennett be used all over the lineup.
- *Bylsma cited defenseman Robert Bortuzzo as a player who will get “more of an opportunity” this season on the blueline in a physical role. Bortuzzo should be given a shot to play over the likes of Deryk Engelland but we’ll see on that one.
- *Lots of eyes on Marc Andre Fleury. An overplayed quote from players is going to be “we believe in Fleury”. What else are they going to say…… Bylsma today called Fleury and Tomas Vokoun the best “goaltending tandem in the NHL. Bylsma also stood firm in what he said this summer in that Fleury will get the majority of starts this season.
- *Bylsma today mentioned the third and fourth line as competition spots in camp, along with the blueline. “I would say the third and fourth line situations, in particular third line. A lot of competition in that area. The defenseman position. We have a lot of quality players, we have lot of quality players coming to our team, young players. So the Opportunities will be there for them to make an impression.”
- One theme coming from the players seems to be that they will learn from the Boston fiasco and it will make them a better team this season.
Quotes and Other news to be posted later