PIRATES 5 – MARLINS 2
Win: J.A. Happ (6-7)
Loss: Tom Koehler (8-12)
Save: Mark Melancon (40)
1. The Pirates (75-48) won for the sixth time in seven games and are a season high 27 games above .500. The last time the Pirates were 27 games above .500 was at the end of the 1992 season. The Pirates could move 2.5 games out of first place tonight with a Cardinals loss in Arizona.
2. J.A. Happ pitched six scoreless innings in posting his third straight strong start. Happ allowed four hits, while striking out six and walking one in the win. Happ in four starts with the Pirates has a 22/6 K/BB ratio. “Right now he’s in a really good place,” Manager Clint Hurdle said.
3. Gregory Polanco went 4-5 with 2 doubles and a run scored. Polanco is now hitting .355 in the month of August.
4. Andrew McCutchen drove in two runs and went 2-5 with a double. McCutchen making an MVP surge, put the Pirates on board in the third with a two-run RBI double to deep right, scoring Polanco and Starling Marte.
5. Mark Melancon picked up his 40th save of the season with a 1-2-3 ninth and needing only three pitches.