Number One Seeds Announced
The Big East gets three number one seeds as the NCAA Selection Committee has announced the four #1 seeds. Louisville is the #1 overall seed, followed by Pittsburgh (#2 Overall), North Carolina (#3 overall) and Connecticut (#4 overall)
Louisville Cardinals to play in the Midwest Region
Pittsburgh Panthers to play in East Region
North Carolina playing in the South Region
Connecticut playing in West Region
* Robert Morris (24-10) are the #15 seed in the Midwest Region. The Colonials will play against the #2 seed Michigan State Spartans on Thursday.
West Virginia (23-11) is the #6 seed in the Midwest Region. West Virginia will play Dayton (26-7) in their first round game. A tough opening round game
East Region Breakdown
Friday – Sunday Games
1. Pittsburgh (28-4)¬†- 16. East Tennessee State (23-11)
8. Oklahoma St (22-11)¬†- 9. Tennessee (21-12)
5. Florida St. (25-9) – 12. Wisconsin (19-12)
4. Xavier (25-7) – 13. Portland St. (23-9)
Thursday ‚Äì Saturday Games
2.Duke (28-6) -15. Binghamton (23-8)
7. Texas (23-11) – 10. Minnesota (22-10)
3. Villanova (26-7) – 14. American Univ (24 ‚Äì 7)
6. UCLA (25-8) – 11. VCU (24-9)
#5. Florida State biggest threat to Pittsburgh
Out of the teams that Pittburgh could play in the Sweet 16, Florida State is the biggest threat. Guard Toney Douglas (21.1 PPG) has the ability to take over games and Pitt has struggled at times against teams who have athletic backcourts. Douglas could cause the Panthers some problems. Duke as a two seed in the East region is a perfect scenario for Pittsburgh. If Pitt plays Duke in the Elite Eight, Pittsburgh will advance to the Final Four.
#3 Villanova received a gift opening up play in Philadelphia. They will be a dangerous team in the East Region.